For learning, I think the time that we choose to learn is essential. When I was in high school, I found it pretty struggle to get up at 6 am every day and start learning from 7. I felt sleepy everyday morning, and I cannot focus on my school work. The challenge at that time was that I need to be used to the schedule made by the school, which means that I need to adjust myself to start learning from the early morning on each day. However, I found I can be clear-minded in the afternoon and night. Especially when the nights, I can concentrate on studying for a long time.

Photo by Stefan Cosma on Unsplash

Since my teachers and parents said that it is a good habit for learning to make good use of time in the morning, I assume that it is necessary to adjust my biological clock. Therefore, I tried many different methods. For example, I have tried to get up earlier and do some morning exercise to help me wake up, have espresso each day, or wash my face with cold water. Nevertheless, I found that these methods can just function temporarily for me.

After attending the university, I felt much relieved because the studying time become more flexible, and I can manage my time better. Gradually, I accept that I am a night person, and I always scheduled my studying task on nights and complete them productively. As a student, it is essential to know that learning when can be productively and focused during the day, then making a plan based on the individual learning habit.

This strategy to improve the efficiency of learning is about cognitivism (Ertmer & Newby, 2018). For cognitivism, learners should notice both the environmental cues and mental activities. Being ‘early bird’ might be a good strategy for some learners to get a better learning experience, but it might not has the same impact on others. Learners always need to determine the learning strategies which are the most suitable for them.

Photo by goxy bgd on Unsplash

Reference

Ertmer, P. A., & Newby, T. (2018) Behaviourism, cognitivism, constructivism: Comparing critical features from an instructional design persepctive. In R. E. West, Foundations of Learning and Instructional Design Technology: The Past, Present, and Future of Learning and Instructional Design Technology. EdTechBooks. https://edtechbooks.org/lidtfoundations/behaviorism_cognitivism_constructivism